Wednesday, April 22, 2009

6w, 0d: Resetting time...

Just got a call from my nurse and I want to get my thoughts out here so I can remember what she said.

My hCG didn't double from last week (8 days since my last quant), but they stop looking at hCG levels once they can see things on the ultrasound. So she said that wasn't so important. (Although I'm not convinced.) She didn't tell me the exact number.

Since my ultrasound measurement was more than a week away from where I thought I was, they will go with the ultrasound due date, because that is considered more accurate. That would make my new due date December 16. I will keep my OB intake appointment next Monday, but I will go back for a third ultrasound (just at my OB's office) at 8 weeks (two weeks from today), where they will look for a heartbeat. A heartbeat before 8 weeks still leaves you with a 15-20% miscarriage chance, but one at 8 weeks leaves you with a 5% chance - much better, obviously. But at least the baby's heartbeat this morning makes it be considered a real baby, rather than just a failed pregnancy.

I have implicit instructions to call if anything changes (i.e. bleeding or cramping), which along with the low hCG and way off measurements makes me think that this pregnancy is not headed in a great direction. But we'll see in two more weeks, I suppose... Hopefully this baby is the "Little Baby That Could."

I can't wait for the 12 week mark.

2 comments:

Amy B said...

Ummm...let me tell you..I had 5 MC..yep 5...My last PG my bets did not double..and my scan was off..and my DR said and I quote..
If I were a betting man I would give you a 90% chnace of losing this baby within a week.
I changed DR. I thought postive thoughts. I did NOT give up on my baby because he had not given up..
GO take a look at my blog
http://ourdailyblessinglife-amyb.blogspot.com/2009/04/wordless-wednesday-almost_21.html
There is your 90%....
My advice is..
Your baby has not given up and you do not give up..
I am praying like mad for you..and I will check on you daily. I KNOW how scary this is..I have been there too many times.

Crysi said...

Keep in mind, the twins were TWO weeks off and they never did any blood work until 11 weeks. I remember looking at that u/s picture of just 2 empty sacs and wondering if there really were 2 babies in there or just empty, blighted ovums. We went back at 11 weeks and there they were. You've at least seen a heartbeat and a fetal pole.

Try to stay positive. I know it's hard, but you can. I still wouldn't completely accept the twins until I hit 24 weeks last week because then they were "viable". With Adia, I tried not to believe she was my baby until I held her in the hospital. But that's what parenting is all about.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." ~Elizabeth Stone